Candi Singosari, Malang, East Java, Indonesia

Share this

This temple is located in Candirenggo, Singosari of Malang City. Discovered in the early 18th and was named as Candi Menara (Tower Temple) by Dutch, perhaps because of its tower-like shape. Also names as Cande Cella by European archaeologist, as it has 5 cella or window-like parts on its sides. Local people call this temple as Candi Cungkup, but now commonly people call it Candi Singosari refer to its location.

According to local people, this temple was part of a wide area with 7 temples before other temples collapse. Statues in Candi Singosari are from other collapse temple, and the original statues from Singosari temple were already carried by Dutch.

The temple’s design is considered to be distinctive, through its 2 levels shape. Mostly temples posses space in the body section, but Singosari temple has it in its bottom part. Originally, every space of the temples has statue, of Durgamahisasuramardhini, Ganesha and Agastya. But now the Agastya statue is the only one that left, and others had been move to Leidan, The Netherlands.

Singosari temple has an interesting un finished decoration. Scientists conclude that this temple had been abandoned before it was completed. And the logical reason of abandoning was due to Jayakatwang assault to Singosari Kingdom in 1292 which King Kertanegara and his followers killed. Decoration was done from top to bottom, partly the body section had been finished but the foot is not been finished at all.

This temple was built to honor King Kertanegara from Singasari. As least there are two temples in East Java that were built to honor King Kertanegara, Candi Jawi and Candi Singosari. As Candi Jawi, Candi Singosari is also a Siva temple, that can be seen from the existence of few Siva statues on the temple yard.
Singosari temple building is located in the middle of the yard. Temple body was set on a 1.5 meters platform, withour decorations or reliefs on the lower part. Stairs to temple floor is not completed with railing as in other temples. The entrance to the temple chamber faces south, in front of projecting room. The entrance is very simple, the carving and the relief is also too simple that this temple is construction was not finished yet.

On the left and right side of the entrance, there is niche to put statue. Above the niches are decorated with kala. In the middle of main chamber there is a yoni, but the upper part has broken. On the lower part of the yoni has no engravings at all.

At a glance, Candi Singosari seems to have 2 floors as the temple roof is square, resembles small room with niches on every side. Statues were put on the niches, now they are empty. every niche is decorated with Kala that is more detail than kala on entrance and kala of body niches. The top of the temple roof was built in meru levels, like a pyramid that gradually having narrower in upper level. Part of the roof has been collapse.

In 1930, the temple was restored by Dutch Indies, that can be seen from the record carved on the temple foot. Nonetheless, seems that the restoration was not entirely done as other statues, andesite blocks are composite and had not put on the right temple construction .

The temple yard displays few statues that are mostly broken or unfinished, such as Syiva in various positions, Durga and Nandi bull.

Approximately 300 meters west of Candi Singosari located Dwarapala statues, a giant that guard gate, in huge size. It said that the weight of the statue was 40 tons and the height is 3.7 meters and the circumference of the body can reach 3.8 meters. The statues are located 20 meters separatds from each other, now separated by road.

According to expert, both Dwarapala was facing east in the beginning, to Singosari Temple, the Dwarapala on the south faces to northeast. This was because of the excavation activity when lifting the statue. Until 1980, the statue was buried up to its chest. Behind the south statue, there is ruins of stone blocks buildings, resembles wall. Estimated that this was the gate post to Palace of King Kertanegara (1268-1292)  located west of both statues.

Exclusive Photos of Candi SIngosari
[nggallery id=25]

Share this

This entry was posted in attractions, Temple. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.