It was built in 1640, when Sultan Agung Hanyokrokusumo reigned, made this mosque known as the oldest mosque in Jogja. It has Hindu and Buddha style seen on parts of the building including the gate is the shape of Paduraksa. This mosque is symbol of tolerance of Sultan Agung to his people, that were Hindu and Buddha. Tolerance has been in this region since the past time.
Before entering the mosque one will meet a banyan tree that has been there for hundred years. As it is old, local call the banyan tree wringin sepuh (old banyan tree) and regard it giving fortune. One’s wish will come true if he/she will meditate under the tree until two leaves fall, one open and one closed.
In the mosque yard, there is a 3 meters inscription that was written by Paku Buwono X, king that renovated the mosque. So this mosque underwent two phases of construction. The first construction in the period of Sultan Agung, the core of the building only, small size. The distinct of the mosque built by them are on the pillar. Sultan Agung used wooden pillar while Paku Buwono used iron pillar. The core building of the mosque is Javanese limasan surrounded by ditch. The typical of old mosque is ditch used for ablution before entering the mosque.
The mosque terrace has a bedug (drum) that is estimated as old as the mosque. The name of this bedug is Nyai Pringgit, and it was made at Dondong village, Kulonprogo. This bedug still is played in prayer time though it is already old.
The podium is located inside, and it is the original podium. This podium was a gift from Adipati palembang when Sultan Agung stopped by after pilgrimage to Mecca. Unlike the bedug, the podium is not used anymore for damage concern.